Updated with photo: Man arrested for fatal stabbing being held without bail

Nov 12, 2019

David Robbins, the Onset man arrested for the murder of Yves Roux Jr., was ordered to be held without bail in Wareham District Court on Tuesday morning. 

The prosecutor said the stabbing was the result of a traffic dispute between men who did not know each other — and noted that key evidence was captured on the victim's dashboard camera.

According to the prosecutor, Roux left his home at about 4:45 a.m. on Wednesday, Nov. 6, and was driving on Main Street on his way to work. Robbins was driving in front of him in a blue pick-up truck and was pumping the breaks before coming to a stop. Roux pulled alongside Robbins and rolled down his passenger-side window, and the two men got into an argument. Roux then got out of his car and met Robbins between the two vehicles, where the altercation took place.

At some point, Roux realized he had been stabbed and made a U-turn to drive down the street toward Tobey Hospital. 

After driving about a half-mile to Tobey, Roux became either unconscious or unresponsive and his car drifted and collided with the sidewalk. 

Bystanders called 911 and Roux was brought to Tobey before being brought to a Boston hospital via MedFlight. He succumbed to his injuries on the following Friday morning.

Although Roux was unable to tell police what happened to him, he had a dash camera that captured most of the events, and part of Robbins’ license plate along with a distinctive decal that covers most of the rear window of his truck.

Bystanders also saw Robbins drive away. Robbins proceeded to his job at Roadsafe in Avon, where he works as a heavy equipment operator, and was seen on surveillance videos arriving at 5:37 a.m.

Police contacted Robbins by phone but he failed to appear at the police station. Following a grand jury appearance on Friday, Robbins was arrested at his mother’s house in Brockton. There, he surrendered his truck and keys. Preliminary tests have found blood on the inside and outside of the vehicle.

In her argument against bail, the prosecutor cited Robbins’ past involvement with the criminal justice system, including a dismissed manslaughter charge, a firearms offense with a suspended sentence, and a charge of leaving the scene of an injured person, along with his initial failure to speak to the police.

Robbins’ defense attorney noted that all of his past charges were older than 30 years old, and said that Robbins had been following the advice of his counsel when he avoided speaking to the police.

Furthermore, the attorney argued that the attack was provoked, and said that Roux had been tailgating Robbins and had chosen to engage with him.

The attorney argued that the murder charge being brought was not plausible. He said that the charges should at most be manslaughter or murder in the second degree, and said the district attorney has “grossly overcharged” Robbins.

He then argued that bail should be allowed, emphasizing that Robbins is 65 years old and has multiple health problems. Additionally, the attorney said Robbins is the primary caretaker for his mother, who is 85 and has dementia. 

The judge disagreed and denied bail. Applause broke out in the courtroom and was quickly stifled by court officers. 

Robbins will next appear in court on December 12 for a probable cause hearing.