Lawn mower fire extinguished on Pleasant St. in Wareham
Wareham first responders quickly extinguished a lawn mower fire on Friday afternoon in the Swifts Beach neighborhood.
According to emergency broadcasts, Wareham firefighters and police responded to 21 Pleasant St. at about 2:24 p.m. for reports of a standing lawn mower that was engulfed in flames.
Firefighters knocked down the blaze within a matter of minutes, containing the fire to an area of the property’s backyard that was away from any buildings.
Homeowner Louise Tortora said the lawn mower sparked suddenly while it was being used to clear leaves. The machine was brand new and had been given to her as mother’s day gift this spring.
“It had a full tank of gas,” she said. “I was so afraid it might spread onto the neighbor’s property or into the woods.”
It’s unclear at this time what started the fire. No injuries were reported.