Firefighters respond to gas leak, brush fire at the same time
Firefighters called to the scene of a gas main break on Bay Point Drive in Onset on the afternoon of Wednesday, May 17 were distracted by a five-acre brush fire behind Cardi’s Furniture & Mattress on Cranberry Highway.
At 2:53 p.m., the Onset Fire Department received word that a road construction project had struck a gas main, according to a fire department press release. Onset, Wareham and Bourne fire engines arrived on the scene, and firefighters checked homes in the area.
The gas leak temporarily shut down Onset Avenue between Robinwood Road and Route 6.
While responding to the gas leak, Assistant Chief Patrick Haskell was sent to investigate reports of smoke coming from behind Cardi’s. He found a large, fast-moving brush fire. Additional firefighters were already on the way when he made the discovery.
Wednesday’s dry, windy weather made the fire spread rapidly.
It took 30 minutes for firefighters from Wareham, Onset, Carver, Plymouth, Bourne and Marion to control the fire, and several hours to make sure that it was completely extinguished.
National Grid managed to stem the gas leak within 90 minutes of it first being reported.
No property damage or injuries were reported in either incident.